The building´s Museum is a fortunate encounter between a logical type of architecture, the fine arts and a happy nature
Galicia’s “Museo do Mar” is situated on the premises of the old Alcabre-Molino de Viento canning factory of 1887. Later this was used as a local slaughterhouse, and in 1992 the Regional Government of Galicia commissioned a draft project of Museum to architects Aldo Rossi, from Italy, and Galician César Portela. After Rossi’s death, Portela designed a project which included the old factory, a number of additional new buildings, the tavern, the aquarium and the lighthouse.
The Museum spreads over 14.000 m 2 altogether, and becomes —according to Portela— “a constellation of sites which provides visitors with the possibility of finding a space of their own, enjoying the company of the colours, the sounds and the fragrance, and even the mystery of the sea, with the Horizon Line as their point of reference during the day, and, at sunset, the beams of light from the lighthouses of Cape Home, Cape Silleiro, the Cíes Islands, Mountain da Guía, and from the many buoys which mark, strategically, the different sea routes… A fortunate encounter between a logical type of architecture, the fine arts and a happy nature”.